Saturday 14 August 2010

Now playing: ‘Orange Sky’ – Alexi Murdoch (2003)


“When I am alone,
When I’ve thrown off the weight of this crazy stone,
When I’ve lost all care for the things I own,
That’s when I miss you.”


(Not strictly a new release, so you could argue it doesn’t qualify for my ‘Now playing’ posts. But I picked this soundtrack up this week and have been playing it non-stop.)

Am I the only person who’s seen the film ‘Away We Go’? It’s a little gem. Boy and girl look for a place to raise their baby. That’s it. With funny bits. And sad bits. Co-written by the wonderful Dave Eggers (author of ‘A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius’). Directed by Sam Mendes. Starring John Krasinski (Jim Halpert in the US version of ‘The Office’). Why has no-one seen this film?

What’s more, it features an ace soundtrack. (Yes, I said ‘ace’.) This is mainly thanks to the many great songs by Alexi Murdoch. Why has no-one heard of this guy either? You need to hear ‘Orange Sky’ today. Right now. (The link’s below. Yep, there it is.) Funnily enough, this song actually reminds me of the first season of ‘Prison Break’, but it’s used here to great effect too. I’m sure one year it will be covered by some gurning fool on ‘X Factor’ and it will finally get the recognition it deserves

Spotify linky:

No comments:

Post a Comment