Friday 20 May 2011

‘Hand In Glove’ – Sandie Shaw (1984)


"Yes, I know my luck too well,

And I'll probably never see you again."


Why is it that you only ever hear dance music pumping out of cars? Well, ok, not in every case. You get the odd bit of metal and sometimes some poppy radio station. But, without exception, it seems everyone who rolls their car windows down to broadcast their stereo to the high street always has the most appalling taste in music. I’ve never once heard anything inspiring, intriguing or intoxicating spilling from these social miscreants. Why is that?

It used to be the same with ghetto blasters back in the early 80s. In US movies, the kids were always listening to ‘super phat’ hip hop beats. In Farnborough town centre, the kids were usually listening to ‘Now That’s What I Call Music’ tapes.

So I continue to wait for the day when I’m startled by a driver waiting at a traffic light who’s playing Sandie Shaw’s ’Hand In Glove’ (featuring The Smiths minus Moz) or some such delightfully curious oddity.

Spotify linky:
Sandie Shaw – Hand In Glove (Original Single Version)

This post reminded me of the great video below where Aziz Ansari carries a boombox around New York loaded with the worst mixtape of all time (aah, Dawson's Creek) – thanks, Emma W:

No comments:

Post a Comment