Monday 9 April 2012

‘Moonchild’ – Fields Of The Nephilim (1988)


"Well, they tear you down,
And they’ll bear your shame.
Longevity, hear my pain."

"Why are you rubbing flour in to your coat, Son?"

"You wouldn’t understand, Dad."

Parents, eh?! It’s August Bank Holiday 1988 and time for another Reading Festival. The Nephilim have jumped to third on the bill after releasing the Top 28 chart sensation ‘Moonchild’ – I’ve even heard my milkman whistling it. So in tribute, I’ll be going for the Neph’s look this weekend.

"And what exactly is that?" Well, think Spaghetti Westerns. And those iconic ankle-length, sand-weathered, trail duster coats. That's the look I’ll be recreating. With an old trench coat from the Army Surplus store and a bag of my mum’s Homepride flour in lieu of real desert dust. What could possibly go wrong ?


Let me answer that for you right away. It could rain. And it did rain. Of course it did. It’s a Bank Holiday and the Reading Festival. The twin harbingers of rain. What was I thinking? You can guess what happened next. Instead of looking like a fearless outlaw from the dusty plains of the mythic Wild West, I looked like I’d barely survived a bun fight at the local baker’s.

My Dad wasn’t exactly chuffed about letting soggy, doughy me in his spotless car that night for a lift home. He had that ‘I told you so’ look on his face for the whole journey. Parents, eh?!

Spotify linky:

Ooh, look. You put the back sleeves together and you get this.
Another of the many joys of vinyl. Take that, CDs!

P.S. And, no, I don't hold the copyright on the above image from 'Once Upon A Time In The West'. Will happily remove and apologise if there any objections.

No comments:

Post a Comment