Friday 4 May 2012

'Darklands' - The Jesus And Mary Chain (1987)



"And Heaven, I think,
Is too close to Hell."

It’s the Mary Chain. Which can only mean one thing. Anniversary time. It’s two years today since my first ‘Psychocandy’ post. And I’ve been humbled by some of the great responses I’ve received over that time:

"Your earlier posts were funnier."

"Do we really need to see your thumb in each picture?"

"There’s not enough Sigue Sigue Sputnik."

As has become tradition, to mark the occasion I’ve chosen another Mary Chain record that’s celebrating it’s 25th anniversary: the magnificently melancholy ‘Darklands’. A radical departure for the Mary Chain after the feedback-drenched nihilism of their debut. Now we got acoustic-plucking nihilism.

It was the soundtrack to my O-Level revision. Or, perhaps more accurately, the soundtrack to me avoiding my O-Level revision. It was such an influence that the Mary Chain began popping up in the life model prep work I was doing for my art exam. Which was quite a radical departure for me too, as before then my inspirations had been mainly Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio and Judge Dredd. This new direction did little to boost my grades. And my tutors were only to become even further bemused as A-Levels beckoned and I entered my Pixies period.   
      
Spotify linky:

1 comment:

  1. Those early Mary Chain sleeves were among my favourites.

    ReplyDelete